Monday, November 12, 2007

The other side of the bed.

I snuggled into my blanket last night, happy to be warm in bed when I knew it was cold outside. I pulled my hand back in quickly after poking it out to test the temperature. Too darn cold.

What's this? A space heater in bed with me? A sigh on the other side of the bed and a warm body snuggling up against my back?

Don't let your imagination run away with you. It is my daughter, who somehow always manages to sneak into bed without me knowing. She will be a great spy...or something when she gets older.

I had pictured much more interesting things for my life. I remember when Isabel was born; I made a conscious decision to not let her sleep in my bed. I diligently woke up every few hours and put her back down in her bed after comforting. When she was 6 months old, I read every book I could get my hands on and finally decided to "Ferberize" her. If you are not so fortunate to be acquainted, this method of child rearing consists of the "cry it out" mentality. This was a hard won battle, but I was committed. No kids in the marital bed. They should sleep in their own room. They (and I) need our independence!

Yet here I am, a mere 3 years later with my daughter managing to stake a claim on "her" side of my bed. The nerve! But, I haven't moved my pillows to the middle of my bed (which I thought I would as my final declaration of being single.)

I guess I should admit that on these cold nights, sometimes a little pint-size space heater is appreciated.

3 comments:

kpett said...

I wake up with one of those 3-year-old heaters in my bed too - his name is Daniel.

What_happened? said...

Gotta love them. Although, buying a space heater would have been cheaper. Heck, buying a state of the art, bed warmer that instinctively knows your body temperature would have been cheaper.

andygoose said...

A bed warmer would be nice. I'm stuck with an 5 year old octopus kicking me in the face...but a LOVELY octopus she is!

Or is she an octopi?