Thursday, January 24, 2008

Who wants to visit?

Toilet museum leaving Worcester after 20 years of flushing

WORCESTER, Mass.—Worcester's toilet museum is moving down the pipes.

After 20 years, the founder of the American Sanitary Plumbing Museum is turning over the collection of porcelain relics to the Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors of Greater Boston.

In March, crews will crate up the museum's commodes, urinals, claw-foot bathtubs and plumbers tools to be shipped to Watertown, where a new museum should open in the spring.

Hugh Kelleher, executive director of the contractors association, says the Smithsonian offered to take the collection, but museum founder Russell Manoog, and his wife, Bettejane, wanted to keep it in New England.

The Manoogs have staffed the museum since 1988. Russell Manoog's father, who owned a plumbing supply business, started the collection when plumbers would give him old toilets.

------

5 comments:

andygoose said...

Sign me up!

Keri said...

That was such an awesome museum... my cousin Kate and I used to try to stuff our brothers in toilets when we visited.

I can't believe it's closing.

kpett said...

I read this in the paper yesterday - and I thought of you. Pretty romantic, huh?

What_happened? said...

1) Andy, let's go!
2) Keri, I can't believe you have been there (and liked it).
3) I am such a lucky girl!

Keri said...

My aunt lived in Worcester. I've probably been to every museum in that area. All I have to say is that the Sanitation museum in Worcester is way better than the Jello museum in Rochester, NY. Ollie says that he'd go to the "crapper" museum. I actually have a friend that just moved to Worcester- I'm sure I could convince her to go too.