Monday, December 24, 2007

Up and to the left.

Not really about toilets, but I do care for the whole bathroom, so I feel that this story can be included.

Countdown to the big party at my house.
Baking Cookies.
Cleaning Isabel's Room
Baking Lots of Cookies... etc...

and how to I decide to top it all off less than 24 hours to having guests over? "Hmmm...that faucet really doesn't do it for me. I think I will change it."

Yup. Not lying. Let me remind you that I am not a plumber and have had no formal training in plumbing. But, I sell toilets, so I should know how to change a faucet, right?

Actually, I did have an hour session on installing faucets. It focused more on how great and easy our faucets are...blah, blah, blah, but I got the point.

Step 1: Shut off water. :) Didn't say that in the directions; I got that one on my own.

Step 2: Ummmm... plumber's tape? I don't think I need it - what's the biggest thing that could happen.

Step 3: Undo hot and cold water supplies. Check. Easy.

Step 4: The directions skip right to installing the new faucet, but I am smarter than they are (S-M-R-T). I know I need to remove the current faucet here.

Step 5... Step 5... How they heck does this thing come off? I tried sticking something under the faucet. I tried to shimmy it off. I took off the pop up. No luck.

There seem to be these bolts under the sink holding the faucet on.

Step 6: Look around the immediate area for a wrench. None available. Think about walking upstairs to get a wrench designed to undo these bolts. Too far away.

Step 7: Change mind and reattach pop up.

Step 8: Attach hot and cold water supplies.

Step 9: Turn water back on.

Step 10: Scream. Shut water off quickly. Tighten water supplies. Turn water back on.

Step 11: Clean up water that went all over the place in Step 10.

Step 12: Put new faucet back in the box and leave it under the sink where it will probably remain for a long time.

I don't know why I thought it a good idea to change my faucet out either by myself or before having a party. Luckily, I thought better of it before getting too far into the process...

2 comments:

kpett said...

Step 10 sounds like a fun one. I've tried to be a plumber twice: Once there was a drip in the pipe behind a toilet and I covered it up with plumber's putty. After a while it just started dripping again. The other time I installed new toilet innards right before I left on vacation. Last person to flush the toilet (may have been me) left without making sure the water shut off. Came back from vacation and heard the water running in the toilet. I might have said something I shouldn't have said. When the water bill came, it was over $1000.

Since then, I've always called a plumber.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll gladly volunteer my amateur plumbing skills in exchange for you coming over to play SceneIt! with me. I have a really hard time getting anyone to play with me more than once.